Standard: The agency shall have a comprehensive general security plan addressing areas, buildings and facilities under its jurisdiction that is updated periodically. Plans for each major area, building or facility should be available at each site. The general security plan may be a compilation of security plans from each major area, building or facility. Hazardous or flammable materials storage areas should be clearly identified in plans and at each specific site. Signage at each site should be installed in accordance with the unified signage system. To be effective, the security plan should be updated when a new area, building or facility is added, security systems are modified or when legislation requires change.
Suggested Evidence of Compliance: Provide the agency’s general security plan or compilation of security plans from each major area, building or facility with the most recent review or update. At a minimum, these plans should include:
- Locking key systems and associated assignments;
- Alarm system and assignment of security codes;
- Opening and closing procedures;
- Fire alarm and fire suppression systems;
- Emergency evacuation procedures; and
- Critical incident response procedures.
Informational reference in the Management of Park and Recreation Agencies, (2010), 3rd Ed., Chapter 22 – Law Enforcement and Security, pp. 627-637.
Agency Evidence of Compliance:
The Park District has developed a General Security Plan1 to outline security procedures and practices related to agency parks and facilities. Specifically, the plan addresses:
- Preventative security measures
- Enforcement of Rules, Regulations, Ordinances, and Laws by staff and law enforcement
- Facility access measures, including locks and alarm systems
- Facility security measures, including communication systems, security camera, and fire alarms and fire suppression systems
- Traffic and parking control procedures
- Hazardous chemicals information related to the Park District's HAZCOM Plan2
- Opening and closing procedures
- Responding to the scene of a crime
- Emergency Evacuations
- Emergency Action Plans for critical incident response
The General Security Plan was last reviewed and updated in January 2015 as evidenced by the memo regarding General Security Plan Update3 and posted on The Hub for staff viewing.
- 08.05.00_General-Security-Plan.pdf (link removed for security purposes)
Agency Self Assessment: MET